Scientific Manager, Global and Environmental Health
We are looking for a colleague for a newly established position as Scientific Manager in our Social & Humanitarian team.
With an increased focus on health and sustainability in Novo Nordisk Foundation’s new 2030 plan we offer a unique opportunity to contribute to combat inequities in Global Health and to accelerate the green transformation in such areas as health systems, agriculture, and food systems!
The vision of the Foundation is to improve people’s health and the sustainability of society and the planet. The Foundation’s mission is to progress research and innovation in the prevention and treatment of cardiometabolic and infectious diseases as well as to advance knowledge and solutions to support a green transformation of society.
In 2021 The Novo Nordisk Foundation awarded DKK 8.8bn in grants and thus is one of the largest philanthropic actors in the world and is headquartered in Copenhagen, Denmark.
In health, the Foundation will focus on the prevention and treatment of cardiometabolic diseases such as obesity, type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular diseases that threaten public health in countries worldwide, being the principal cause of human deaths.
In sustainability, one urgent challenge is how to feed a growing global population while mitigating further climate change.
As Scientific Manager you will be the scientific expert in our Global Health initiatives and projects – all with the purpose of fighting inequities in health with focus on people in vulnerable positions.
The key objectives are to improve accessibility and equitable access to quality healthcare and adapt responses to diverse patient needs, including the increasing global burden of cardiometabolic diseases (CMD’s) and infectious diseases in countries where CMD’s are projected to increase. Your tasks will include:
- Develop, qualify and drive various projects related to fighting and preventing cardio metabolic diseases (CMDs) in low- and middle-income countries (LMICs), including project concept development and follow-up
- Develop and manage research partnerships with research institutions and networks located across the globe
- Review research documents and analyze potential health benefits from building research capacity, knowledge exchange, and the introduction of resources efficient interventions linking sustainable food systems with prevention of CMDs in regions of the world particularly exposed to food insecurity
- Collaborate with other program areas in the Foundation to develop and create synergies between Global Health and Environment Health, including as it relates to sustainable global food production, control of infectious diseases, solutions for climate mitigation and adaptation and the design of more sustainable hospital facilities in LMIC
- Provide sparring and advice internally about Global Health, including writing recommendations, and summaries to the Executive Leadership Team, Chairmanship, Board of Directors and Committees
The role is anchored in the Social & Humanitarian team that consists of 12 team members, all of whom have significant professional experience, dedication, and passion for creating an impact as a team and within the respective areas.
Professional and Personal Qualifications
We are looking for a person who has an international experience with Global Health or Environmental Health concepts, practices, policies, and procedures either through global health work, health care system capacity building, and partnerships; and has a holistic understanding of global health issues as well as the ecosystem of international stakeholders.
Furthermore, we expect that you have:
- A relevant educational background, e.g., PhD or master’s degree in Global Health, Public Health, Agricultural Development, Environmental Health, Health Systems Management or similar
- Through your research or otherwise, you are expected to have experience with relevant international stakeholders including bilateral and multilateral organization, other foundations, the private sector, or civil society organizations in low- and middle-income countries
- Experience in managing research process and research skills in, for example, scientific reviews, protocol development, the qualitative or quantitative analysis of data
- Excellent ability to understand, analyze and communicate research results, research projects, and research evaluations
- Strong project management skills and is experienced with managing several complex projects simultaneously
- Excellent communication skills in English both in writing and oral
As a person, you are:
- Quality-conscious, impact-driven and motivated by the vision of the Foundation
- Ambitious, proactive with both an analytical approach and the ability to see the bigger picture
- Purpose driven and has an engaged, collaborative, and positive mindset
- An active contributor to the team and share the values of the Foundation
We offer a diverse workplace with great colleagues and with rich opportunities for professional and personal development.
Working at the Novo Nordisk Foundation
We offer a committed and professional workplace in which we emphasize ensuring that our colleagues thrive, are challenged and have opportunities to develop their potential. A career at the Novo Nordisk Foundation gives you the opportunity to work:
- on important projects that benefit society;
- with key actors within research and development in Denmark;
- and as part of a dedicated team that is passionate about creating value for society.
Application and Information
For more information, please contact Hanna Line Jakobsen, SVP, Social & Humanitarian on e-mail: email@example.com or phone: +45 7730 1580 or Scientific Director of Global Health, Flemming Konradsen on e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: +45 6010 1661. We encourage you to send your application as soon as possible and no later than 09/06/2022.
To apply, please send your CV, cover letter, and university transcripts by clicking on the “Apply now” button.
About the Novo Nordisk Foundation
The Novo Nordisk Foundation dates back to 1922, and is an independent Danish foundation with corporate interests. Our vision is to contribute significantly to research and development that improves the lives of people and the sustainability of society.
Since 2010, the Foundation has donated more than DKK 30 billion (€4 billion), primarily for research at public institutions and hospitals in Denmark and the other Nordic countries. The Foundation gets its income from ownership in the Novo Group companies and more than 130 other life science companies.
In the coming years, the Foundation will broaden its scope and increase its grants for scientific, humanitarian and social purposes. As a consequence, we are a growing organization, which means new job openings and exciting opportunities for employees to be a part of forming the future of the Foundation.
Read more about the Novo Nordisk Foundation’s history, strategy and ownership structure here.